Let’s literally go beyond what North Luzon is mostly known for. Go past the borders of Ilocos Norte and step into the neighboring town of Claveria in Cagayan. I was awed by the raw beauty of Claveria even under gloomy skies on my first visit that I immediately planned a return trip soon after I got back to Manila. I was able to spend a few days here with my friends and found it as a destination in itself. Here you can find a dedicated video, the itinerary and travel budget chart for claveria and a side-trip to Tuguegarao.
Here’s a compilation of a few videos I shot while on the trip. Looking back now, I should have shot more then but I hope you guys like this one. Music credits to Mind Thing for the song “Elle” used on the video.
- Small Town Claveria and Beach Side Accommodations
- Witnessing the Parambolan and the Delightful Hospitality at Taggat Lagoon Claveria
- Development Falls at Portabaga Falls in Claveria
- The Quiet Twin Falls of Macatel in Claveria
- Nature Reclaiming Mabnang Falls in Claveria
- The Legend of Apo Lakay-lakay in Claveria
- Morning at the Fishing Village in Taggat Lagoon Claveria
- Climbing Claveria’s Bantay Kalbo and Weather Change at Sentinela Beach
- In Transit: Claveia to Tuguegarao
- Callao Man Pushing Filipino History Further in Penablanca
- Going Subterranean in the Living Sierra Cave in Penablanca
- In Transit: Tuguegarao to Manila via GV Florida Sleeper Bus
We spent only around 5 days in Cagayan, 3 full days in Claveria where I spent P4,505 and 2 days in Tuguegarao for P2,200. The chart below will give you an idea on where the money was spent.
We would also like to give our big thanks to the staff of Cagayan Tourism particularly sir Ted who assisted us while we were in Tuguegarao and for the tour in Callao and Sierra Caves.
You may also check out more photos of the trip at the Claveria-Tuguegarao Smugmug Gallery.
Ferdz Decena is an award-winning travel photographer, writer and blogger. His works has found print in publications such as Singapore Airlines’s Silver Kris, Philippine Airlines’ Mabuhay, Cebu Pacific’s Smile and Seair InFlight. He has also lent his expertise to various organizations like the Oceana Philippines, Lopez Group Foundation, Save the Children and World Vision, contributing quality images for their marketing materials.