There are many great reasons to visit Orlando, Florida and the surrounding area. It is a good idea to rent a car while you are there as there are many sights within an hour drive. Here are a few ideas for your next family vacation.
- Theme Parks: Orlando has eleven theme parks for the family to visit. These include Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, Legoland Florida, Wonderworks, Wet n’ Wild, Gatorland, Busch Gardens, Sea World, Aquatica, and Discovery Cove Orlando. Bring your bathing suits and your sense of adventure and explore what these parks have to offer. You can hang out with the Disney gang, go swimming, explore some wild water rides, snorkel safely with sharks, or even come face to face with alligators. Be sure to get your Florida tickets for 2015 early as the area is quite popular with tourists.
- Everglade Tours: Take an airboat tour and explore this one of a kind ecological system that is like nowhere else on earth. You can see Alligators and turtles sunning themselves in their natural habitat, as well as many different kinds of migratory birds, exotic plants, fish, and you might even catch a glimpse of a twenty foot Burmese python. Check out the mangrove forests and the tropical hardwood hammocks. The boats travel at speeds up to 45 miles an hour (72 km/hr) so hang onto your hats during this thrilling ride.
- Beaches: Just one hour away by car from Orlando are the beaches of Central Florida. White sand and palm trees can be found at Daytona Beach. If you are willing to drive for roughly two and a half hours you can explore the Gulf Coast Beaches that are voted some of the best in the world. Relax in the sun or get adventurous and try surfing, paragliding or one of the many other thrilling water sports that Florida has to offer.
- Fishing: Florida is world famous for its bass fishing. Head to Kissimmee and give bass fishing a try for yourself, or head out into the ocean and try your hand at Tuna, Marlin or sharks.
- Shopping: Orlando is a shopping paradise. Designer brands and the latest fashion trends in high end malls, outlet malls with discount prices, many specialty shops, and so much selection to choose from. Drop your husband off at the Orlando Harley Davidson South to buy yourself some more shopping time.
- Food: The US is the land of big portions, great food and lots of different variety. Orlando and the surrounding area are no exception and it has many things to offer a foodie. Have a meal with the Disney gang if you want, or try some freshly made ceviche or other local seafood at one of the many beachside restaurants that bring in fresh seafood everyday. Try one of the many gourmet burger restaurants, or have authentic Italian cuisine, Asian cuisine, or Mexican food.
Ferdz Decena is an award-winning travel photographer, writer and blogger. His works has found print in publications such as Singapore Airlines’s Silver Kris, Philippine Airlines’ Mabuhay, Cebu Pacific’s Smile and Seair InFlight. He has also lent his expertise to various organizations like the Oceana Philippines, Lopez Group Foundation, Save the Children and World Vision, contributing quality images for their marketing materials.