It’s the happiest place on Earth! Who wouldn’t want to go there? And now it just got a lot bigger. Shanghai Disney Resort, to date the largest foreign investment Walt Disney Company has made, opened recently in Pudong Shanghai. The sprawling 11-acre is where one’s Disney fantasy gets real. Just in time, AirAsia Philippines just relaunched their direct, Manila to Shanghai flights three times a week. And to celebrate this momentous occasion as mainland China ventures into a whole new world of Disney, we’re giving one reader and his/her companion a trip to Shanghai with free passed to Shanghai Disney Resort.
AirAsia Philippines Reconnects to Shanghai
AirAsia, the World’s Best Low Cost Carrier for seven consecutive years, is offering direct flights from Manila to Shanghai started June 10 with all-in promotional fares starting from as low as P2,888 only.
Flights between Manila and Shanghai will be operated by Philippines AirAsia with the following schedule:
Z2 19 Shanghai Manila
Shanghai Disneyland Resort
The $5.5-billion ShanghaiDisney Resort is the company’s third theme park resort in Asia, following properties in Tokyo and Hong Kong. It is also the third-largest property, slightly smaller than Disneyland Paris Resort but nearly twice the size of the original Disneyland Resort in California and is strategically located in Shanghai’s bustling Pudong district, home to some of Shanghai’s most recognizable skyscrapers and a number of luxury hotels, and just 12.5 miles from the Shanghai Pudong International Airport.
Other Attractions in Shanghai
The most influential city in China, Shanghai pulsates with life amongst the bright lights from towering skyscrapers, fashionable folks strolling along the scenic banks of The Bund, and old temples with rich culture and history. Here at the heart of the huge metropolis, you can find the perfect blend of cultures – old and new, western and oriental – exemplifying what contemporary China is all about.
- The Bund. A symbol of Shanghai’s colourful past and thriving future, this 1.5km-long waterfront on the banks of Huangpu River is lined up with avant-garde buildings that are Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Neo-Classical-inspired. Across the river is an astounding skyline of Shanghai’s skyscrapers, including the famous Oriental Pearl Tower.
- Yuyuan Gardens. One does not think of tranquillity when you come to the Yuyuan Gardens. A souvenir paradise, there are countless vendors surrounding the lively square amongst impressive classical Chinese architecture. Shop for jade, jewellery or handicrafts, or even splurge at the more popular brands within the gardens.
- Xintiandi. Located in the French Concessions Area is Xintiandi, the ultimate car-free shopping, dining and entertainment area. Traditional Shikumen (stone gate) buildings have been turned into cafés and restaurants, bars and chic boutique stores. Translated as “new heaven and earth”, Xintiandi is a great place to soak in the historical and cultural elements of the city set amidst modernity.
- Shanghai Art Museum. From the outside, the building strikes an opulent modern pose but once inside, it is a sanctuary for ancient art appreciation. Take a look at the intricate beauty of thousand-year-old Chinese bronzes, sculptures, ceramics, jades, seals, calligraphies, coins and currencies, paintings, furniture as well as crafts of China’s ethnic minorities.
- Nanjing Road. A true shopping paradise! Nanjing Road is one of the world’s longest and most vibrant shopping districts, and a must-see for fashion shoppers and tourists! This 6km-long street is constantly buzzing with excitement all day, and when night falls, the vibrant lights from the stores and restaurants illuminate the street brilliantly.
We are giving away one winner two tickets to Shanghai and two passes for the Shanghai. Please see details below.
- Travel must be done by the end of August
- AirAsia Philippines will only cover roundtrip tickets Manila-Shanghai. Winner will be responsible for the cost of securing Chinese Visa, accommodations and other travel expenses during the trip.
- To join the contest, you MUST follow the instagram accounts @ironwulf and @airasiaph
- Look for the AirAsia Philippines and Shanghai Disney Resort post and follow the instructions on what to comment.
- Contest runs from June 17 to midnight of June 19, 2016
- The winner will be contacted first to confirm if they can travel and will be announced on June 20, 2016
- The winner will be determing via Random.org
Essential Info for Chinese VISA
Ferdz Decena is an award-winning travel photographer, writer and blogger. His works has found print in publications such as Singapore Airlines’s Silver Kris, Philippine Airlines’ Mabuhay, Cebu Pacific’s Smile and Seair InFlight. He has also lent his expertise to various organizations like the Oceana Philippines, Lopez Group Foundation, Save the Children and World Vision, contributing quality images for their marketing materials.