Being in one airport at a time is amazing, but being in two at the same time is ultimately rare. How is this possible, you ask? Well, the Gold Coast’s runway is in both New South Wales and Queensland – and just minutes away from the beach. It is the gateway to one of Australia’s most visited destinations.
Gold Coast Airport, formerly known as Coolangatta Airport, has recently been named the Best Regional Airport Australia/Pacific at the Skytrax World Airport Awards, yet again. This is the third time that they are receiving the award, with millions of travellers voting for them. There were 14 million respondents from all over the world, with 550 international airports participating. The airport just recently launched its unmanned check-in counters, too, where passengers can check-in through a kiosk. There are 25 kiosks available, which saves the passengers from the hassle of falling in line for check in. Just goes to show that the Gold Coast Airport is definitely one of a kind!
For first timers at Gold Coast airport, here are some of the amenities that you can enjoy while you’re there:
- Dine at Australia’s favourite fast food chains. No trip is complete without tasting the country’s best dishes. While the airport may not offer a wide selection, there are some that can give you the Aussie food experience.
- Red Rooster. This restaurant is an Australian icon, and every Aussie you ask will probably know about it. Try their fresh roast chicken, burgers, baguettes, and chicken wraps – you won’t regret it!
- Hungry Jacks. Hungry Jack’s is one of the most well-loved burger joints in Australia. Visit the departure area and grab a whopper to satisfy your cravings.
- Blackstone Bar & Lounge. Waiting for friends to show up? Tell them you’ll wait for them at the Blackstone Bar & Lounge. They open as early as 5AM to serve everyone breakfast, where you can enjoy freshly cooked meals including sumptuous tapas, Lavazza coffee, Eggs Benedict, Croissant, and a whole lot more!
- If you’re into salads and healthy food, then this one’s for you. Have a taste of fresh produce from Australia and be amazed at the quality of food!
- NRG Express. NRG means natural, refreshing, good, which is what this well-known Aussie restaurant offer. Similar to SumoSalad, they produce fresh and healthy food. They offer burgers, too, but with a different twist: it’s healthier than the burgers you’re used to.
- The Coast Cafe. If you’re up for some drinks, then head on to The Coast Cafe. They offer both premium local and imported beer, or you can opt for a glass of Australian wine. You can even pair your drink with a light meal or snack on the side. You can find the relaxed pub at the entrance of the airport.
- Use the free WiFi and Internet. Check your Facebook account, reply to emails, and stream your favourite TV series on Netflix – all for free! You can also visit the internet kiosks for a minimal fee.
- Make good use of the massage chairs. Give your body some love by having it massaged at one of the eight available chairs in the airport!
- Take a refreshing shower. Showers are available all throughout the airport, so you can easily take a refreshing bath if you need or want to.
- Book an affordable airport parking. One tip for your friends that might pick you up at the airport: tell them to just park their cars at the off-site parking at Gold Coast Airport – it’s more convenient and much cheaper than any other type of transportation!
Have a fun time in Gold Coast, and hopefully you’ll come back soon!
Ferdz Decena is an award-winning travel photographer, writer and blogger. His works has found print in publications such as Singapore Airlines’s Silver Kris, Philippine Airlines’ Mabuhay, Cebu Pacific’s Smile and Seair InFlight. He has also lent his expertise to various organizations like the Oceana Philippines, Lopez Group Foundation, Save the Children and World Vision, contributing quality images for their marketing materials.