The way 2008 started looks really promising and exciting as well. Getting a citation from WikiPilipinas.org as Wikipinoy of the Year for Bloggers under Geography and Travel on the first weekend of the year was quite a surprise. It’s really heartening to know that somehow, in this little corner of blogosphere, I’m able to contribute some information on the web regarding our beautiful country. And in 2008, I plan on continuing that by venturing into more adventurous destinations, more off-the-beaten paths and possibly (re)discovering some hidden gems in our 7107 islands and beyond. So here’s what to expect on 2008.
Most of the first half of the year are already booked or planned out. If there are any changes it might be minor:
- + Back to Pangasinan (Bolinao and Alaminos). I have been here but this will be a whole family affair since members of the family would be coming back after some time from abroad.
- + Iloilo. Haven’t been in this part of the island and would be exploring a lot of it soon.
- + Ultimate South West China Backpacking Adventure. This will be a long trip and is a very exciting one for me.
- + Donsol. I would like to swim with the whale sharks this year around. I think we already blocked out when this one will be.
- + Hoping to come back to Baguio and Sagada as well
- + Palawan’s El Nido and Coron.
- + Climb Mt. Apo.
- + Virginia USA. If things go well, I would be accompanying my dad here sometime mid to the end of the year.
I guess, that’s it for now. We’ll see from this list which ones will be achieved by the end of the year. Of course, there would be unplanned trips in between to add to the surprise.
Taken 2004. A beach shot from a Popular Island
For the meantime, tomorrow morning I will be flying to the beach pictured above. A slice of the famed island. Last time I was here was 2005 so I kinda missed the place somehow even I’ve been there for like the nth time when I used to work as an Art Director for an airline magazine. And what better way to start the year of travel with? A gathering of some of the Philippine’s well known travel bloggers on one of the country’s most popular island destination. I’m sure you’ll be hearing a lot about this on the coming weeks from the blogosphere. Let’s see how this one will go. Happy weekend everyone!
Ferdz Decena is an award-winning travel photographer, writer and blogger. His works has found print in publications such as Singapore Airlines’s Silver Kris, Philippine Airlines’ Mabuhay, Cebu Pacific’s Smile and Seair InFlight. He has also lent his expertise to various organizations like the Oceana Philippines, Lopez Group Foundation, Save the Children and World Vision, contributing quality images for their marketing materials.